9/17/2018 1 Comment
South of France (Nice/Monaco)
We visited the South of France the weekend after Labor Day. We heard so much about how luxurious it is and wanted to see for ourselves. It was the perfect weekend trip to get away from touristy museums, and to slow things down a bit. We stayed in Nice but went to Monaco as well. We had such an amazing time exploring, chilling on the beaches, and gambling in Monte Carlo. The South of France is beautiful, such a breath of fresh air. I am already scheming to come back!
What cities are considered the South of France?
Nice, Cannes, Monaco (though technically not part of France), Saint-Tropez, Antibes, etc
Best times to visit the South of France?
The best times to visit are March - May & September - November, when the crowds die down and the weather is perfect. July & August are the worst times to go because everybody and they mama are there tryna catch some sun.
Is it as expensive as it seems?
Compared to other cities we have visited, SOF is a little pricey. Cabs are a rip off but necessary when traveling to other cities. We took an Uber from Nice to Monaco (30 min drive) but failed to realize Uber is illegal in Monaco. We weren't able to call one to get back to Nice and ended up paying $150 in a cab to get back. So.. short answer - yes. Long answer - yes but there are ways to make the weekend more affordable!
5 "budget friendly" Tips for Planning a Weekend Getaway
1) Book an Airbnb - Cut costs AND stay near the beach. YES, it's possible. Our Airbnb was such a blessing! It was in the perfect location and saved us a ton of euros
2) Already in Europe? - It's (obvi) cheaper to fly into the SOF from a European country so, just do it.
3) Rent a bike - Ubers are pretty cheap in Nice but they aren't legal in Monaco. Renting a bike allows you to quickly get around without worrying about racking up uber fees
4) Research restaurants - We went to michelin restaurant La Romantica, which was surprisingly reasonably priced. Our bill was about $150 incl apps, a bottle of wine, our meals, and dessert
5) Chill - *Most* of the beaches are free
Andy da Mag
10/6/2018 09:25:56 am
What! How did I miss this. Giving me all the chill vibes for this one. Super sophisticated like Plies in the Ritz-Carlton.
Leave a Reply.